Commercial venues need to look good for any occasion. Commercial carpeting plays an important role in making a place look neat and well-kept. However, they may get worn out due to consistent and heavy foot traffic. Same goes with concrete flooring. Over the years they can lose their gloss, turn dull, get stained and even develop cracks. So it makes more sense to take away the carpets and create an artistic surface on a stained or cut floor. You can customize the problems areas and enhance the look of the flooring.
Guide to stained concrete floors
Designing a concrete floor with acid stains imparts an appearance of granite or deep marble. The technique is not difficult, but it becomes a little complex due to the variation between the many types of concretes available. External conditions also play a major part. If done right, a concrete floor will look fabulous.
If you want to fix cut or stained floors on your own make them look new, here are the steps you need to follow:
- The concrete floor should be meticulously cleaned. Ensure that the surface is clean. A spotless concrete bed is ideal for coloration. Do understand that waxy surfaces will resist the stain, and will leave spots.
- Sample the effect in an obscure spot: As an acid stain does not react in a same manner on dissimilar surfaces, it is advisable to conduct a sample test on the concrete on which the stain will be applied later. It will provide you with a pretty good idea of the final effect after the stains react with a particular substrate. Make sure that the timing and methods used on the sample are identical to how the rest of the floor surface will be treated.
- It is good to be creative. Application of acid stains is not only a functional exercise, but also an artistic one. When you begin with the application, it is important to know the technique and the method of correctly applying it. There are cases when an excellent floor turns into something horrible due to imperfect application techniques. Applying too little will not cover the entire floor, or will not etch the surface enough to deeply deposit the color. Excess application of product will lead to puddles and over-react with the floor surface. Insufficient scrubbing without following the natural pattern and flow will lead to appearance of swirls and mop lines.
- It is imperative to clean up the floor. You also need to neutralize the floor surface. This is extremely important to ensure that the acid stained concrete imparts the desired effect. It helps in proper adhesion of coating system or sealant. Do remember the floor surface continues to be subject to damage and staining at this stage, and care must be taken to fully wet and also neutralize the complete area to stave off marks from splashed residue, boot prints and associated man caused blemishes.
- Do allow the floor to dry. After the concrete floor becomes dry, a coating sealant must be applied. If the sealer system is not applied in a correct manner, then the surface will show the roller lines. Techniques for applying it include back rolling, cross hatch rolling and spraying. In case of a wax finish, buffing may also be required.
Don’t have unrealistic exceptions with the process though. You need to understand that an excellent effect can only be had with a lot of practice. If you are doubtful about doing the job, leave it to the professionals.
Please CLICK HERE to learn he installation of chemical staining and stenciling over concrete micro-topping.
Duraamen industrial and polished concrete flooring products are designed to provide labor saving, longer lasting flooring solutions. Talk to an expert about your flooring challenges...Please CALL +973.230.1301 or Email: email@example.com